Monday, March 8, 2010

I liked what I saw

I have started reading up your blog entries. Some of your entries were really reflective (kudos to Cheng Ning, Jannel, Guan Wei) and creative (kudos to Hafizah, Carrie--just to name a few). There were some that I thought were pretty amazing. Thanks for sharing your lives and your thoughts.

Keep the entries coming in. I delight myself in reading your thoughts. :)

Also, this is a REMINDER to those who have yet provided me with your link to your blog: BIG SISTER IS WATCHING.

Here's a phrase for the day:

When in Rome, do as the Romans do (adapted from http://www.goenglish.com/WhenInRomeDoAsTheRomansDo.asp)

When in Rome, do as the Romans do means that when you are visiting a new place, you should try to do as the people do who are from the place.
Example: "I can't eat that."
A reply using this phrase might be: "Oh, give it a try. When in Rome, do as the Romans do."


People from different places have different ways of acting, so it is important to try to do things the way people from the place that you are visiting do.
Example: "Are you sure we can eat this with our hands?"
A reply using this phrase might be: "Why not? All of these people are. When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Story behind this saying (adapted from http://www.trivia-library.com/b/origins-of-sayings-when-in-rome-do-as-the-romans-do.htm)


The Saying: WHEN IN ROME, DO AS THE ROMANS DO.

Who Said It: St. Ambrose

When: 387 A.D.

The Story behind It: When St. Augustine arrived in Milan, he observed that the Church did not fast on Saturday as did the Church at Rome. He consulted St. Ambrose, bishop of Milan, who replied: "When I am at Rome, I fast on a Saturday; when I am at Milan, I do not. Follow the custom of the Church where you are."

The comment was changed to "When they are at Rome, they do there as they see done" by Robert Burton in his Anatomy of Melancholy. Eventually it became "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

A lot of the 3A-ers are working very hard. Miss Tan shall adapt from this phrase and say, "WHEN IN 3A, DO AS THE 3A-ers DO"
 
Love
Miss Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment